Thursday, January 29, 2009

(More) Quaker prose

A Lesson

My cat teaches me
the bliss
of a square of sunlight
on the floor


Christopher B. Fowler
Friends Journal, February, 2009





When Jesus came

He found me in the laundry
Sorting mounds of clothes,
And mentioned homeless families
Of His that froze.

He watched me clearing table
Discarding untouched food,
Till thoughts of starving multitudes
Muted our mood.

He heard me loathing clutter
I found no time to file,
And mentioned places clogged with waste,
Mile upon mile.

Then He showed me compassion
In manger, cross, and tomb,
Breathing my desserts of despair,
To glorious bloom.


Charles Waugaman
Friends Journal, February, 2009

2009 Friends Publishing Corporation. Reprinted with permission. To subscribe:www.FriendsJournal.org

No comments: