Monday, January 12, 2009

Dad now on Palliative care only

Dad is now awaiting hospice tomorrow morning. He is no longer getting blood pressure medications, and is no longer receiving dialysis treatments. They have him on round the clock morphine through his PICC line as well as a trans dermal analgesic. The biggest problem we have now is that he is bleeding out and they are not sure where the blood is deriving from. After a long discussion this morning between my Mom and Dad they both agreed to turn off his blood pressure medications and stop all medications with the exception of the pain meds.

Everyone is coming today to see my Father and to say their last goodbyes. I do not believe he will be alive much longer. I even doubt that he will make it to hospice tomorrow.

With the GI bleeding and the lack of his BP medications, I believe he will drift off to sleep quite peacefully.

I am doing OK. I am there for all members of my family. I have been speaking with my Michael all day today for emotional support. Now,we are just waiting for him to die.

I continue to hold his hand and speak to him when he is awake. He knows everything that is going on all around him.

No comments: