Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Liberty/Tigris": A Heart-Warming Story

, ("Libby" staying warm on a cold Christmas Eve night in the bathtub.)


It was Christmas Eve early evening in 2006. Michael and I were wrapping up last minute gifts as the fireplace roared in our living room as Christmas music was playing. It was a very, very cold night. We were planning to go over to my parent's home for snacks and gift opening.

Our friends were downstairs in their apartment wrapping gifts as well. My dear friend Ken came upstairs and said, "I want to show you something, come downstairs." When I got down into his apartment, I saw a kitten trying to get inside away from the cold through his full glass french door/window. I had never seen this kitten before in the neighborhood. She was so friendly and was desperately searching for warmth and food. We were even able to open the door and pet her. She eventually went away and we heard someone from next door saying they wanted to put the hose on her. It made me very angry.

She later appeared at OUR door as we were getting ready to go to my parent's home. Despite Mike's complaints, I left a warm bed, some food and some water for her out on our front porch. We left around 8:30pm for my parent's home. She didn't seem to be too hungry as she ate just a small handful of cat food. We already had 4 cats in our home, and Mike was clear that he didn't want another one. Our oldest cat, Troy, had died just 7 months before this kitten had arrived on this Christmas Eve night.

We went to my parent's home and exchanged gifts and returned home at 1:45am Christmas day. When we arrived, I saw the kitten still on our doorstep braving the cold. She seemed to be waiting for our return. I knew Mike was not going to be happy with me, but I knew I had to take this cold kitty in for the night. I set her up in the bathtub as I couldn't have her interact with our other cats due to her unknown health status and territorial issues. I promised Michael I would look for her owner as soon as I could.

We woke up Christmas morning and she was glad to see us. I then realized how ill she was. She was sneezing and coughing and wasn't able to eat much probably due to nasal congestion as I knew cats will not eat if they cannot smell well. I told Mike I would bring her to the vet. as soon as the holiday was over. So, she remained in our bathroom safe and warm.

I brought her to our vet. and had her given antibiotics as she had a severe respiratory infection. I began to really like this kitten and wanted to keep her. She was so beautiful and sweet. Michael, however, was not feeling the same way and wanted me to let her go once she was feeling better. Now, before he appears to be the villain here, I must point out that we had agreed NOT to get any more cats, so, he was actually correct. My point was that this kitty chose us and found us so this situation was different.

I had agreed to let her go, so I did. She wandered around our next door neighbor's bed and breakfast for awhile, but then returned to me. We decided to keep her. (Isn't Mike wonderful?) We called her "Liberty' after our street address, Liberty Avenue.

OK. So fast forward to just several months ago. I was lying on our next door neighbor's acupuncture table when she started to tell me about her two cats and what had happened to them. (Yes, they also run the Golden Pineapple Bed and Breakfast next door.) Jennifer told me that her and her husband had adopted brother and sister kittens and had named the boy "Nile" and the girl "Tigris". She told me that "Nile" had been run over by a car which had killed him. "Tigris" had witnessed this traumatic event and had run away and had never returned. She told me she was still upset over this and wondered what ever had happened to her. I asked her what "Tigris" had looked like. She told me and it matched the description of the kitty we had adopted 2 years before.

Jennifer went over and saw the cat, now 2 years old, and immediately knew this was "Tigris"! She was so happy that she had been adopted and that she was well and happy with her parents and brothers and sisters.

We believe "Tigris", ("Liberty"), somehow knew that we would take loving care of her and arrived on our doorstep. Even though Mike jokes that she manipulated us into adopting her, we love her so much and her brothers and sisters do as well.

She is a valued and very loved member of our loving home.




No comments: