Friday, June 19, 2009

Dr. Crew's NLP Lessons #6

REFRAMING

We tend to set in motion what we expect will occur. This is called how we FRAME an outcome. For example, saying, "I don't think I will be able to do __________(Whatever it is), will almost ensure the same outcome you just set into motion. We believe, as psychotherapists and psychologists, that the subconscious mind seeks to be congruent with the conscious mind often resulting in both seeking balance and homeostasis while ensuring the outcome already set into motion. This has often been referred to as " a self-fulfilling prophecy."

When we REFRAME an outcome, we are allowing ourselves the opportunity to go beyond our limitations in beliefs and experience an outcome better than we can even imagine.

REFRAMING is solution-based, rather than problem-focused.

An example... I was training a woman the other day at the studio. We were attempting to get her to the point where she could hold herself in a "plank" position, (a core exercise) for 2 minutes. Each time she trained with me, we attempted to increase her time in this position by 2 seconds. She had gotten herself to the point where she could hold herself in plank position for 1 min/50 seconds from 20 seconds when we started. I suggested to her that she is very close to the 2 minute goal we had set for her. She said to me that this was not a good day and she even doubted whether she could even do one minute today as she felt so tired and sleep deprived. I explained reframing to her. She got it. She said to me, "Hmm.. maybe today is the day I CAN do 2 minutes." Then added, "Let's see how I do!"

She not only was able to hold plank for 2 minutes, she was able to hold this position for 2 mins./13 seconds shattering her own goal and amazing herself in the process!

In what ways in your life are you limiting yourself by convincing yourself that you CAN'T do something?? Perception IS reality.

No comments: