Monday, December 1, 2008

"When certain people don't like you it's a compliment"

My paternal grandmother was a wise human being. She was also loving, caring, and provided me with emotional shelter from a very abusive father. (How he ended up this way with her as a mother is one of the great mysteries of life). She taught me so many things about life and about my being true to my authentic self. Many of her wise words are a large part of who I am now. Her death in 1988 was one of the greatest losses I have ever had to endure.

I remember her saying that if I were true to myself in what I truly believe in and authentically spoke my mind I would not be liked by certain people. She told me that many people do not have the capacity to tolerate other's points of view and they won't like me as I am a person that is honest and authentic. I always find solace in these words. I have learned to always have the intention of not hurting someone and speaking my truth in a kind way. There are times when someone truly does not like me due to my beliefs or the way I live my life. Also, there have been people who do not always appreciate my speaking my mind. I have come to accept this as a compliment. If I am not who I am, then, and only then, will I be liked by everyone. This is not something I aspire to be. I'd rather take the compliment. At the end of the day, I have to put my head on my pillow and know I have treated all those with respect and did not have an intention to hurt or harm. I also need to have a heart that is not self-serving and open to my responsibilities in every interaction with another.

"To Thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

No comments: