Thursday, December 11, 2008

I don't believe in OBLIGATIONS

Yes, that's right. I refuse to do anything that I do not want to do. Now, don't get me wrong, I ABSOLUTELY believe in RESPONSIBILITIES. That is NOT the same thing as obligations. I'll explain. Obligations are, to me, another person's idea of what I should do rather than what I want to do or have agreed to do. Responsibilities are very different. Responsibilities are my keeping my word as to what I have agreed to do. Sometimes, another person's idea of my obligations coincide with my responsibilities, but, that is just happenstance. I have learned over the years that I need to really ask myself if this is something I actually want to do and if I am prepared to deal with all of the commitment my decision will entail. I need to be extremely careful as to what I agree to do making sure it's something I really want to do but NEVER what I SHOULD do. I have both personal and professional responsibilities that I take very seriously.

I do NOT believe in the concept that there is a clear RIGHT or WRONG thing to do. To me, this varies from one situation to another and each of us has a very different take on what is right for them in each situation. I believe it is one's responsibility to know one's true INTENTION in making these decisions. The intention needs to be honorable in that it attempts to do no harm to another or is in any way an attempt to deceive or manipulate another for one's own benefit.

To me, life is full of enough things that I need to do to survive. Why add to that list things I don't want to do? Sometimes, I will decide to do something because I do not wish to deal with the consequences of NOT doing it. But, to me this means I have made a decision to do this thing rather than to feel compelled by what someone else thinks is the right thing to do. If I am prepared to deal with the consequences of my decisions then I feel OK with that.

No comments: