Friday, December 12, 2008

I ate TUNA!

Now, only those of you who really know me well can truly appreciate this rare event. I haven't eaten freshwater fish for over 35 years now. I am well aware of all of the health benefits derived from eating fish, but, I have had some sort of aversion to eating it.

Michael and I went to Tiger Lily for lunch today and I had been eyeing that tuna salad for quite some time now. I asked for a small taste and I liked it. I actually ordered a wheat wrap of tuna salad and greens and I loved it!

Now, of course, I had to look deeper into this phenomenon. Why had I not eaten fish for all this time? I came to see that one of the reasons I hadn't eaten freshwater fish is that I BELIEVED I was a person who DOES NOT eat fish. It made me realize how often we all see ourselves in a static frame of reference and accept this as fact. For example, "I am an angry person", or "I am a person who never finds love", or perhaps "I don't like to exercise or workout". We need to challenge these pre-conceived ideas about ourselves. We are not inherently ANYTHING! We have the ability to adapt and change. We are constantly in a state of metamorphosis. We can modify our perspective by seeing ourselves as constantly changing and be open to trying new things and having new experiences.

OK. Now, I need to see what else about me has changed that I haven't tried to learn about myself from habit, fears, or one-dimensional thinking. Certainly, you know I'll keep you posted.

No comments: