Thursday, December 18, 2008

What to do about my goatee?

I recently found out that I do NOT have a goatee according to most people. Apparently, I have a "Van Dyke"! Well, whatever I have, I have had my facial hair for the better part of the last 25 years. Rarely has anyone seen me without it. But, now there is a problem.

My goatee is turning grey. I don't wish to be one of those dyeing the facial hair kinda guys so this is not an option. I have to decide whether or not to cut it off or let it go grey. I NEVER think I look my age. I probably am deluding myself here. But, certainly as it goes greyer by the hour I am looking older and I have to adjust to this or take it off.

So, I am torn. In the past, I have taken the goatee off and gotten mostly negative comments from people. I have heard that I should grow it back as it is such a part of my personality. (I really do not even know what this means). I certainly do look much younger without the goatee. Without getting into details here I also began to grow it at a very interesting time in my life so I believe it may be very symbolic for me to get rid of it. It just got greyer!

I realize there are many more important things to be thinking about, but this is where I am this moment. What does growing older mean? Why the need to be seen as looking younger than my age? Why am I asking you?

Suggestions will be appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Crew, this response to your editorial is a bit campy but I hope it makes you chuckle. :)When it comes to facial hair, do what you want to do. You look great either way. As a 45 year old I am also battling the salt and pepper war and the salt is gaining territory in my beard and temples. As each year goes on I look more and more like Perry White instead of little Jimmy Olson! :) I also was tossed weather or not to do the "Lady Clairol" thing as some of my peers are doing, but decided against it only because it seems to be too high maintenance at this point in my life. Plus once to do it you have to be consistant with it or people get consfused about your appearance. :) But some guys who do dye their hair, do have a nack of picking just the right shade of light brown so that it looks complimentary and not severe. And then some guys need to go to beauty school to get the right color toning tips. Plus after a long while, eventually you have to surrender to going gray or else you wind up looking like Wayne Newton, Engelbert and Ronald Regan with jet black hair at age 70! :) So artificial. But you and I are way to young for that stage yet! :) So with all the spirit and grace of Jackie O' and with many tears in my eyes, I have decided to grow gray gracefuly. :) But then again I am tempted to stroll down the hair color aisle on occasion. Perhaps I'll change my mind. I am fickle that way. Hope I made you laugh and bit. You're wonderful and thanks for all of your help and assistance for my life. You are a treasure!
Sincerely :)
John Roarty

Dr. Crew said...

Feel free to be as campy as you wish. You know I love campy. John, you are one of the funniest and most kind people I have had the pleasure of knowing.