Monday, December 8, 2008

My OLDEST(and oldest) friend WAZ(Carmine)

I met Carmine when I was just 22 years old. I had just gotten my Bachelor's degree in Social Work and Psychology and had returned to Long Island from Pennsylvania. I went to a gym each morning in Stony Brook and he was there as well. I would think to myself that he acted as if he were the mayor of the gym. I could hear his booming voice and crazy laugh all over the gym no matter how far away he was from me. I have to admit that I found him quite irritating with his big mouth so early in the morning! (I have a habit of not wanting to chat and be disturbed when I train. I prefer silence as I'm very focused; perhaps too much so.) I laugh now as I can remember wanting to avoid him at all costs. I knew it was just a matter of time before he chatted me up as he did this to everyone. How can someone be so talkative and loud at 5am?

Eventually, we met during the Nautilus circuit. (Now you really know how long ago this was). He quickly became someone I shared things with and we became quite close. He and I have been through many things together and I have grown to see him as part of my "chosen family". Over the past 26 years now we have remained dear friends despite our 17 year age difference.

I think it started out that he was sort of an older brother or father figure to me and I relied on him very much initially. Not having a Father figure in my life he filled this place for me quite well. I laugh now as it sometimes seems as if I am HIS older brother. Those of you who may know him can vouch for this!

Waz (as friends call him) is a loving, kind, thoughtful and honest person who has taught me so much about life. He is 66 years old now and he is basically the same person I have always known. He is fun to be around and sometimes as irritating as when I met him 26 years ago. I have NEVER seen him lose his temper or act in an unkind way towards anyone. He amazes me. I can talk with him about anything and he is always there for me in any situation. He loves me just as I am.

I was pleased when I was asked to be his best man at his wedding to JoAnn his wonderful wife. I am so very fortunate to have him in my life and I cherish our friendship and I love him so much.

So Waz, thanks for being a Dad to me. Thanks for being an older brother to me. Thanks mostly for being a wonderful friend to me for all these years. Always know that I will always be there for you at any time and I will never let you down.

No comments: