Thursday, December 18, 2008

A (possibly) controversial posting

I am a healer. As a Doctor and psychotherapist, I have assisted so many patients and clients to heal emotional injuries from the past, make peace with past memories and relationships, improved relationships, and changed their lives. Never do I take for granted the enormity of my work and my abilities. I thank God for the opportunity I have to assist people in the ways that I do.

Now, I've never been one to shy away from controversial issues. So, here we go... Lately, I have been having discussions and debates with fellow doctors, therapists and other professionals about how they feel about other types of healing professions. I am speaking here of Reiki practitioners, energy medicine counselors, spirit releasers, past life regressions, messaging, channeling, psychics, psychic surgeons, faith healers, etc

OK. So, let's face the truth here. After all of my discussions with so many friends, colleagues and other professionals I have come to an interesting conclusion. It is that we all have a line that we feel that once it is crossed we are now in "crazyland'. Be honest with yourself here. At what point does one feel that certain segments of the healing profession are bordering on psychotic or delusional? Where is YOUR line drawn and WHY is it drawn there?

As I stated previously, I think we all have that line somewhere. Many of us have a line drawn when it comes to anything to do with God or religious healing. Others, can't buy into healers who are not licensed nor credentialed or possess a college degree. One could even make the argument that hypnosis and possibly even psychotherapy is over that line. Or what about prayer or therapeutic massage? How about chiropractic?

I have come to the conclusion that I have to admit where my line is drawn before one enters "crazyland". Instead of being skeptical and closed-minded, I can be skeptical and open-minded. I also need to be kind and honest with others who see things differently than I do. Actually, much of healing takes place inside another human being and has very little at times to do with the practitioner. In my opinion, if someone has a positive experience treating their anxiety or depression by taking 2 purple jelly beans each morning with a glass of grapefruit juice I'd advise them to keep taking it! I believe different therapies and techniques work for different people because they believe in them. I have to look at my own biases right in the eye and confront them at times. Why is it that I have strong opinions on certain types of healing modalities?

So, please leave me comments on how you see this issue. I am extremely interested in other's views on this topic that so many wish to just dodge rather than to have an opinion on. Thanks!

No comments: