Friday, March 20, 2009

Shaking Hands- An outdated ritual

This is just my third negative blog entry.(The other two were the new ATM machines at my bank and people who wear too much cologne or perfume.) Actually, I don't really think it's all that negative when I actually think about it. I HATE TO SHAKE HANDS!

I think it is such a stupid custom to have to shake hands with another person when I greet them or say goodbye. When I don't wish to shake hands with someone I often get a negative response from them. Sometimes, I have even been told that it is a "symbol of trust" to shake hands with another. How dumb. People who know me already know I am a person that can be trusted. Those who do not know me need to NOT base their perception and opinion of whether or not I can be a trustworthy person on a ridiculous and outdated and non-pragmatic custom. Many very untrustworthy and unscrupulous individuals are very adept at the hand shaking ritual. They will even look you in the eye as they shake your hand and smile as they think of ways to use you, get money from you, or work you in some fashion to meet their own ends. It never has anything to do with trust. Not real trust, anyway.

First of all, hand shaking is a germ's best weapon. I believe more colds, flu viruses, and other nasty things are spread through this foolish custom. Many times, hand shaking occurs and I am not able to get to a washroom to clean off any germs. I have been to meetings and organizational activities where I am expected to shake the hands of 50 or more people! YUCK! I can see germs and viruses getting very excited about these get-togethers. I even like the "fist bump" greeting better. The problem is that it is just not ready to be accepted by many professionals. There are more germs on our hands than anywhere else on our body.

I did some research on this insidious custom. Apparently, it originated in British society when one was concerned about another having a weapon in their hands when meeting with them. Is this something we need to worry about now? Anyway, why couldn't someone have a weapon in the other hand or somewhere else on their person? Makes no sense...

The Japanese, Koreans, and other Asian groups do not even shake hands. They bow to each other upon greeting and leaving indicating respect for each other. In Japan, I am told by my ex, it is considered impolite to have a cold and not wear a mask on your nose and mouth so you will not spread your germs to another. In a typical rush hour in Tokyo, you will see many people on the trains and subways wearing these masks as they travel to work and back home. Very, very courteous and civilized in my opinion.

I am told by lovers and partakers of this barbaric and archaic custom that there are even "rules"for the hand shaking ritual as well. Apparently, it is not respectful to either squeeze another's hand too hard or strong. This apparently means that you wish to dominate that person. OK... Also, it is considered a sign of weakness to give the "limp wrist" handshake for it indicates weak character. So weird...Another "rule" is that one should not grab another's hand during the handshake and tilt the hand upward and over the other's hand as this may indicate arrogance. OK... with all these stupid "rules", I'd rather not even be bothered.

This is the first day of Spring. I am making a promise to myself that I will no longer participate in this worn out custom. I declare my independence! So, I am going to simply bow respectfully when greeting business people or colleagues. My friends and others I hold dear will receive my usual warm hug, embrace, or possible kiss.

Ahhh, I feel better already.

2 comments:

Victor J Goldman LCSW said...

i will bow to you from now on.

Dr. Crew said...

HaHa! Yes, and please kiss my stinky feet when I enter the room as well!