Monday, March 16, 2009

MILK

Michael and I saw the movie "Milk" over the weekend. What a great movie. Sean Penn continues to amaze me in almost every picture I have seen him in. No wonder he won best actor for this role.

Although I was just beginning undergraduate school when Milk's assassination occurred, I had few memories of the actual event. After seeing this movie, I can remember more of the situation in 1978. I realized the immense contributions he had made to equal rights in this country and of the Gay Rights Movement in particular. Even now, in 2009, Gays and Lesbians cannot marry. There are so many other rights that people who are Gay or Lesbian cannot enjoy. Certainly, progress has been made, but even more certainly, there is much more to be done.

I was struck by the passion of the actual people who were involved in the Gay Rights Movement in the 1970's as they are interviewed in the extras on the DVD.

No comments: