Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My MOM

I am worried about my Mom. It has been just over two months since my Father's death. Mom is having a great deal of difficulty adjusting to his death. They were together for over 56 years and literally spent almost every moment together. I cannot even imagine what it's like to lose a partner after so many years together. I don't even like to be away from Michael during the work day.

I see my Mom taking care of herself physically, but I am concerned that emotionally she may be struggling. Michael and I spend time with her each Saturday and I am enjoying our time together. My Mom is an amazing woman in so many ways. I have some concerns that she may become fixated in her grieving and choose on some level to play out the rest of her life as the grieving, lonely widow. I have shared my concerns with her. She is physically very well and if she decides to she can have a very different life than the one she led with my Father as she dedicated herself mostly to caring for him and meeting his needs.

I will be there for Mom whatever happens down the road. I just wish for her to see how important it is for her to take charge of her life. I love her so very much.

I believe my Mom is in the process of redefining herself as an individual human being. This is completely unknown territory for her. I am willing to be her map and fearless and loving travelling companion on her journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sympathize with you. I'm dealing with some of the same issues with my mom, and she has now had a year to grieve for my dad. I don't know if your mother would be receptive to it but there are some really good bereavement groups out there that she might find some comfort in. She may have to try a couple before she finds one that she can relate to and feel comfortable with but at least she'd be getting out and meeting people. I have been trying to get my mom to go, but not only has she not been emotionally ready, she also has some really debilitating health problems that make it difficult for her to get around. It's so hard for us to watch them sink deeper and deeper, but you're right, we have to try not to let them redefine themselves as grieving widows when there are much better things they could be doing with their new lives. Their lives may be different than they had planned but that doesn't mean they can't still be fulfilling. I hope you can find a way to get through to her. I'm still trying to get through to mine. Good luck, Terri