Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My daily POWER nap(s)

When I tell people that I wake up at 4:30 am each day they usually think I am a bit off. Maybe I am. I have my routine Monday through Friday of meditation, prayer, stretching, working out, and then getting ready for my day early in the morning when most of the world is still asleep. I realize it is not everyone's way of doing things, but I like my way. I enjoy the peacefulness and silence of a Port Jefferson morning before the hustle and bustle begins. There is a quality to this time of the day that one cannot find at any other time. I can think clearly and there is particular scent in the morning that is so
fresh and clean.

I also go to sleep at 11pm each night so I need more sleep than the 5 and a half hours this provides each day. I have discovered power naps and I incorporate them into my day each workday. They usually last between 30 minutes and an hour and a half each day depending upon what my body and mind require. I have become quite perceptive at knowing exactly how much nap time I need each day by turning inside and listening to my body and mind. I actually book these times into my daily schedule of fitness clients, psychotherapy patients and hypnotherapy sessions and refuse to let anything keep me from having this time for myself.

This schedule works for me and I am renewed and energetic and more intellectually and spiritually aware when I take care of myself in this way. I rise from my power naps full of alertness and relaxation prepared to be available for the rest of my day. I am not concerned whether or not another person finds my pattern odd. I have grown to accept that this works for me. I never mind when my friends chuckle in regards to my eccentric habits. I know that each of us has to find what is the best way for us to function in this world. This is not a world of "one size fits all". My size is certainly different, but alas it's mine.

No comments: