Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Thief in my Own Waiting Room

Yesterday I was feeling wounded that a patient of mine would take something from my waiting room that was clearly marked "Please do not remove from waiting area, thank you." It is a strange feeling to me that someone who is coming to me for psychotherapy, nutritional counseling, hypnosis, or any of my other services would do this to me.

I do not know which day this occured as I happened to notice it yesterday.

Colleagues of mine have suggested that I do not take this personally, but, I do not know any other way this can be looked at. It's not that I share office space with any other professional. It's not that my waiting room is accessible to the general public.

I know that the person who has taken what belongs to me is struggling. But, I feel sad that they would choose to do this to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Crew. I think it's natural to feel hurt and betrayed and disappointed by this. I have also struggled with these feelings but I am learning not to take anything personally. This person has a problem. You are a good person and treat others with kindness and respect. I'm sure it wasn't anything that you did to make them take it. They obviously don't know how to control themselves, feel a sense of entitlement, don't know right from wrong, suffer from kleptomania, or are just mean-spirited. Whatever the case may be, it had nothing to do with you. Your feeling badly is only hurting you and those who care for you while you're hurting. The thief could probably care less. I hope you can feel better soon. Fondly, Terri

Dr. Crew said...

Yes. It's already almost out of my mind. I am a person who feels situations like this one very deeply. I am also quite adept at letting them go once I have identified them. Thanks, Terri, for your kindness and concern for me.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that. I think that way of dealing with it is very healthy. I try to allow myself to fully feel my feelings, too. I think it's the best way to process them and put them in the proper perspective. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Terri