Friday, March 13, 2009

Inner Quiet

I have always hated chaos and stimulous overload. Even as a child I can clearly remember feeling so uncomfortable around many people talking all at once. Always, I have desired quiet and peace.

As I grew older I learned to cultivate a pool of inner quiet through meditation and contemplation. I learned to create a place of peace within me that I can call on throughout my day. I give myself time to sense the meaning of my life. Unless my mind slows down, I will not be still enough to know through direct experience. I will not have the inner peace to come into contact with the deeper and deeper layers of myself.

If I accumulate and accomplish all that I have set out to but lose my ability to enjoy then I have bought into a fool's paradise. Then I will simply be surrounded by riches that I am unable to appreciate.

I recognize that an important part of taking care of myself is to provide myself the quiet time I need and deserve in order to be happy.

"For what does it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" Mark 8: 36-37

GIVE A LISTEN!!!
("I Don't Want to Gain the Whole World and Lose My Soul" - Toby Mac, Kirk Franklin, and Mandisa) from the album "Portable Sounds", 2007

No comments: