Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mistaking Kindness for Weakness

I realize that I am perceived as a very kind person by many people. I am very content that I am seen this way. (Well, I intend to be, anyway!) I have always been amazed that so many people equate kindness for weakness.

Because I am viewed by many others as a kind man they often believe that they can manipulate or "work" me for their own ends. They seem to believe that kind people are pushovers and they can get what they want from them often from intimidation. It does not take very long for them to come to the realization that they do not get very far with me. I will not change what I know is true or do anything I do not want to do no matter what someone's intentions are. I have no problem being kind and honest as I inform them that I will not do what they ask or in any way compromise who I am.

I wonder why it is so often thought that kind people who wish to treat others with respect and dignity are so often looked on as "easy marks" by those who think they can use them or manipulate them. Perhaps they believe that people who present themselves as kind are unwilling to confront another person or will seek to please others by doing what the other wishes so not to upset them.

I feel that the best combination is a person who seeks to be kind, honest, and is not fearful of another's attempt to manipulate them.

I strive to be kind and strong.

No comments: