Tuesday, February 10, 2009

EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique)

My good friend and fellow therapist, Scott Burzon, has been experiencing tremendous results using EFT in his practice. I know him to be a very qualified and thorough therapist and I was intrigued to learn more about this treatment modality. Scott and I got together and he taught me the the basics and techniques of EFT. (Emotional Freedom Technique or Energy Field Therapy)

Let me surmise EFT for you in a nutshell. Our bodies have a profound electrical nature. Any beginning course in anatomy covers this fact. Shuffle your feet across a carpet and then touch an item made of metal. Sometimes you can even see the static electricity that is discharged from your fingertips. This wouldn't be possible unless your body had an electrical nature to it. If you touch a hot stove you will feel the pain instantly because it is electrically transmitted along the nerves to your brain. This pain travels at the speed of electricity and that is why you feel the pain so quickly. Electrical messages are constantly sent through our bodies to keep it informed of what is going on. Without this energy flow you would not be able to see, taste, hear, feel, or smell.

Another obvious bit of evidence regarding the existence of electricity in the body is the electroencephalograph(EEG) and electrocardiograph(EKG). Our electrical systems are vital to our physical health. What can be more obvious? When the energy stops flowing...we die.

In fact, civilizations have known about this for millenniums. About 5,000 years ago, the Chinese discovered a complex system of energy circuits that run throughout the body. These circuits, called meridians, are the centerpieces of Eastern health practices and form the basis for modern day acupuncture, acupressure, and a wide variety of other healing techniques.

This energy courses through our bodies and is invisible to the eye. It cannot be seen even with high-tech equipment. By analogy, we cannot see the energy flowing through a television set either. You know it's there, however, by its effects. The sounds and pictures are evidence that the energy flow exists.

In the same way, EFT gives you striking evidence that the energy flows within your body because it provides the effects that let you know it is there. By simply tapping on or near the end points of your energy system meridians you can experience profound changes in your emotional and physical health. These changes would not occur if there was no energy system.

I have been utilizing EFT with some clients and also on myself and friends and I have seen some very clear evidence of how EFT can be beneficial in treatment of anxiety,anger, phobias, chronic pain, trauma, and physical ailments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Crew. It's Terri. I read your blog about EFT and I thought if you haven't done so already, you might be interested in downloading a free EFT manual and receiving a free newsletter via e-mail on the subject. I found it about a year or so ago and have been applying the techniques to myself and others with great results. I have supplied a link to both below. Hope you find it helpful. See you soon, T.
http://www.emofree.com/downloadeftmanual.asp

Dr. Crew said...

Hi Terri! Yes. I have indeed dowloaded the manual as well. But, thanks so much for looking after me. I need more of that!
How are you doing with the final exam. and the preparation for your practical?

Anonymous said...

I was doing great. Full steam ahead. Then when I got about half way through the exam I got completely side-tracked. I started researching everything I could get my hands on about hypnotherapy. I bookmarked and read whatever I could find on the subject. Unfortunately, that led to many other diversions including an online energy healing course and the investigation into and study of what seemed like EVERY other healing modality known to man. I started looking into alternative and holistic nursing courses and learning about all of the legalities of how and why each method falls into the scope of practice for nurses in NYS. That led to other online certifications and lots and lots of CEU's. I think I have finally gotten a grip on myself and will be able to get back to work on my final exam very soon. I have a few volunteers lined up for practice sessions but I need to work through some depression issues that have suddenly taken hold of me. I know it will pass, its most likely hormonal, but for now I'm just gonna have to go through it and then I know I'll get back on track. If my husband and I don't go away for Valentine's weekend I will see you on Sunday. Terri