Tuesday, November 18, 2008

President BARACK!

If you know me, you know how I have suffered through the last 8 years. (I won't say more as I have promised myself this blog is to be positive and never negative). I campaigned diligently for Barack Obama and I am feeling so optimistic that we will soon have a President who is intelligent, sophisticated, down to earth, respected, and capable. He actually feels it may be helpful to sit down and SPEAK to those who we may disagree with! (What a novel idea.) While I know this is a very difficult time for this country I love I am truly feeling that this is the man to bring us into better times. A man who understands GLOBAL economics and how all people are dependent upon all others to thrive and live in peace.

I am so ambivalent about this year's election results and campaigning. We elected a man who is part African American to the office of the president. This is unprecedented. However, I am appauled at how many people made such racist statements about Blacks and how these people came out of the woodwork during the election. I myself have heard people who I never believed to be racist say things that I wouldn't have thought would ever come out of their mouths. Some of these statements were very subtle in their connotations, but racist in ideology nonetheless.

Also, same sex couples continue to have to fight for equal rights in our country. Even in the state of California same gender couple's right to wed have been taken away from them once again. Clearly, gays and lesbians are the last group of citizens not afforded equal rights in this country. We are not protected by rights in employment, housing and often by those whom are supposed to uphold the law.

This country has come far, but certainly has a very long way to go. I hope I am alive to see all citizens of this great country treated equally in ALL aspects of the law. A country where ALL citizens are offered basic health care and equal opportunities to be successful and achieve the same things that all others can achieve.

No comments: