Friday, April 17, 2009

"Are We Human, Or Are We Dancers?"

I love the band KILLERS. One of my favorite Killers songs is called "Human". It is from their 2008 album entitled "Day and Age".

A riff in the song is "Are we human, or are we dancers? My signs are vital, but my hands are cold. And I'm on my knees, looking for the answers. Are we human, or are we dancers?" He further implores the listener, "Close your eyes, clear the heart, cut the cord". To me, this is the essence of meditation and mindfulness and our own innate ability to be genuine and authentic.

Music is often best interpreted by the listener. This song has been part of Internet discussion and fodder since its inception. Brandon Flowers, the band's lead singer and the lyric writer of this particular song simply states it is whatever the listener feels when listening to it.

I feel that the song is saying that we need to be fully human; fully authentic with each other in our interactions. To be alive in each and every moment is to be fully human. "Dancers", I think in this song is referring to those who are simply "going through the motions" in their lives, non-authentic and posing with others. "Dancers" also, often do not move freely as they often are following a routine choreographed for them. They teach temselves to move as instructed and follow a script. (yes, I know there is interpretive dancing.)

Whatever this song actually means will constantly be part of Killers lore. I love their music. Like this song, I find them original and authentic. What do you think of this song? Give it a listen and comment here on the blog.

2 comments:

Sonia Gallagher said...

I like your opinion on that song. It's very true in that dancers don't move on their own, they are usually dancing with others (depending on their movements for synchronicity) or if they are doing a solo, its still a pre-scripted and rehearsed dance (usually). This is similar to how the majority live our lives on a daily basis.

I used to dance the dance of "law" for the past five years. I finally broke out of that dance and am now an online publisher about my favorite topic. Meditation. Meditating helped me realize what was truly important in my life and the lifestyle that I wanted to achieve for myself and my family. I now dance at My Meditation Garden, my new site where my ultimate goal is to bring meditation information about meditation techniques and benefits of meditation to everyone in an easy to understand, "plain English" manner. Meditation helps you relax and slow down the 'dancing' to the moment so you can truly enjoy life and gain compassion and calmness in the face of life's stresses. I hope the information on the site is helpful to you and your readers and look forward to seeing you at My Meditation Garden.

All the best to you,
Sonia Gallagher
http://www.mymeditationgarden.com

Dr. Crew said...

Hi Sonia. Hey, thanks for the comment. I saw your website, really cool. It's so wonderful to meet others through the blog. Please check out my website as well if you have the opportunity. www.DrCrew.com Best to you and perhaps we can stay in touch, CREW