Thursday, June 11, 2009

New Series! Jesus and the Buddha

Jesus and the Buddha were teachers of a world-subverting-wisdom that undermined and completely challenged conventional ways of seeing and being in their time and in every time. Their subversive wisdom was also an alternative wisdom: they taught a way or path of transformation.

As a Quaker and Christian, I have lived with Jesus all of my life. I have, as so many other Quakers, embraced the Buddhist philosophy as a way of living my life.

There are striking similarities between Jesus and the Buddha. I sometimes think that if they had met, neither would attempt to convert the other-not because they would regard such an effort as hopeless, but simply because they would indeed recognize one another.

In this deeply personal series, I will attempt to show the parallels between them by comparing their own words.

No comments: