Wednesday, February 11, 2009

OK, I'll admit it. I watch American Idol.

It's time. It's time for me to stop living this lie. While I'm not proud of it, I "ll admit I watch American Idol. In fact, Mike and I have never, ever missed an episode since the show began.

Now, call me any name you may wish to, but I have to say that I look forward to the new season every year. I look forward to it almost as much as I do the new baseball season! (Those of you who know me well know this is quite a statement for me to make).

I find myself anticipating watching the show each Tuesday and Wednesday (and sometimes Thursday) evenings after a long day at the office and the fitness studio. When one looks forward to something this much one must be a fanatic or at least a huge fan.

So, this new season just began, but already I have some favorites. I'll keep you all posted as to whom I am rooting for as I know you are all waiting with baited breath to see my picks.

I think I enjoy, perhaps eerily, the fact that some of these contestants can't sing a lick yet are under the absolute delusion that they will win the coveted title of this year's American Idol. I also am clearly intrigued that the finalists usually end up with a recording career. I enjoy watching Simon come up with clever and amusing ways of speaking his truth. Whatever the reasons, and they are many, I truly enjoy the show. I think I may like it even more than "So You Think You Can Dance", but that's certainly another blog entry!

So, one day I hope to be proud of my watching American Idol. But, for now, I think I am making progress by simply admitting this fact to myself and to all of you. A long journey begins with the first step.

So, come on those of you who are living closeted watching AI behind locked doors in your homes each week. Come out!

It is my hope, no, it's my DREAM, that all of us, one day, can stand together, heads held high, hand in hand, and proudly say, "I am a American Idol watching American". Until then, we fight on, and of course, keep watching.

No comments: