Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Unguarded Thoughts


"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts.”


Buddha

For the vast majority of my life, I took pride in being a fighter–which meant I was always ready for an attack so no one else could hurt me. The irony is that because of this mindset, I frequently hurt myself.
I was too busy guarding myself against other people’s negative intentions to create positive intentions of my own. I was too preoccupied judging and doubting people to connect with them on a meaningful level.
The people and things I fought weren’t the problem; my thoughts and assumptions were.
I find this is true for a lot of people: the things we’re afraid of are nowhere near as damaging as the way we suffocate ourselves in those fears.
Today if you find your thoughts taking on a life of their own–pulling you into a dark place that has nothing to do with what’s actually going on in front of you–take a breath and let them go.
Make a conscious decision to see everything anew instead of tainting your perceptions with worst case scenarios.
The best things in life can only happen if we’re fully open to experiencing and receiving them.

No comments: