Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"What You Resist Persists"

"What you resist persists"
Carl Jung


To explain Jung's point by way of example, let's say I tell myself, "I'm not going to have a cigarette today, I'm never going to smoke ever again." Far from moving my thoughts away from smoking, I am focusing all my attention on the subject of smoking, even though in a negative way.


A far better way to avoid smoking would be to think about a completely different subject - one that grabs your whole attention, and diverts your thinking. Go to the gym or turn some music up loud and put your whole body, mind, and spirit into your dance.


Now, what was I trying to remember NOT to do?

2 comments:

BruceMiller said...

Can't help but agree with this concept and the reasoning behind it. I am a person who took up smoking at the age of 15 and continued smoking until I was about 38-40. During the last 10 or so years I tried so many times to give them up and failed over and over again. Finally I managed to get myself a sort of mind set not to give them up, but simply to walk away from them. Mentally leave them behind. I don't know how or why it worked but I'm 73 now will be 74 this 22nd of November and am so relieved today and every day that goes by that I was able to shut the door behind them.

Dr. Crew said...

Hey Bruce and welcome to my blog! Thanks so much for the comment, and also congrats on your accomplishments with smoking cessation. I have been treating smokers wanting to quit for some time now and this reframing technique is very helpful.

Please become a follower of my blog! I would love to hear from you. Dr. Crew 880-2531