Monday, October 26, 2009

Jacob's Death/ Final Thoughts


People who know me well sometimes are amazed at how I love my cats. They are like children to me. I have always found it odd, as well, that I have this type of relationship with my pets. Perhaps it is because I do not have children of my own. I have learned to stop questioning why it is that I feel this way about my "kids". This is who I am. This is how I feel. Others do not have to understand what I feel. Love is love; no matter who loves whom.

There are so many things Michael and I will miss about Jake. He was like a dog in many ways. He would fetch toy mice and bring it back to you so you can throw it again. He would ALWAYS run to greet us when we returned, even if it was just for 5 minutes! He never got tired of saying hello and got excited each and every time. Often, when I was upset, especially after my Dad's death this past January, Jacob would be so warm and attentive to me. He seemed to know, he seemed to understand.

He loved visitors. He would get so excited when new people came over. He loved to meet new friends. He was different from our other "kids" as unlike them, he seemed to thrive on human connection and interaction rather than from other cats. He loved his "brothers" and "sisters", but clearly enjoyed spending time with his "parents" even more.

He had this very strange habit of falling asleep on his back with all four limbs in the air. It was so cute. Sometimes he would remain in this position for a long time. Such a fool.

He loved to EAT! He went after food with such gusto and passion. He never seemed to get enough.

Never in all of the years he was with us did he ever bite or scratch anyone. He never was even ever fresh to Mike and I. The other "kids", well, that was different! We really aren't sure if he realized he was a cat!
He loved to be treated special. After all, he thought he was a human being!

He never was moody. Always he was ready for a good pet or hug.

He loved to chat with us. We would look at him and speak to him and he would answer. I often wondered if he knew what we were saying to him.


He had this funny habit of sitting with me when I returned from my early morning workouts. He would ask for small pieces of whatever I was eating for breakfast. We shared the after-workout meal together! When Michael and I would be watching television, he would spend time with me, then go to Mike, back to me, and then back to Mike. It seemed he could not receive enough love and affection. He truly survived on affection, food, and love.


I wondered yesterday why it is that I can go back to work today so soon after his death. After all, if he is like a son to me how could I be able to do this? I then realized that pets, unlike our own human children, are destined to die before we do. There is no raising them to be responsible adults and productive members of society. There is no posterity to create within our relationship with them. I believe that subconsciously, we know they will die so we are somehow more prepared for this event. They are ours for just a relatively short time. They love hard, enjoy life, and we love them back. And, then they are gone.

The pain Mike and I are feeling is unbelievably tremendous. We will miss him every day. The house isn't the same anymore. But, we have four other "kids" to love and take care of. There will never be another Jacob. He started his life as an abandoned kitten with no home and left this world being loved and cared for by "parents" who will never ever forget him.


WHAT A SPECIAL BOY HE WAS.


Jacob will be cremated and his ashes returned to us in an urn that Michael and I have chosen for him. All of our beloved pets still "reside" at home with us.









2 comments:

Choon Hong said...

I'm so touched with what you wrote. Even I'm half way across the globe from you, i can feel your loss of your "son". Take care, Crewie

Dr. Crew said...

Thanks, Pup. Your kind words mean so very much to me. I love you. You are a dear friend to me, even if your on the other side of the globe! Please feel free to become a follower of my blog as well. Crew