Friday, January 9, 2009

DAD Friday morning 1/09

I went to see my Father yesterday. He is actually responding well to the antibiotic therapy. The charge nurse as well as his nephrologist informed me that they are very happy with his progress. He is no longer on oxygen, and he looks more like himself; which may be the problem now.

My Father is still stating that he wants to die. I believe he is very depressed and he is fearful that even if he recovers from this infection that he may not ever be able to resume the kind of life he would like. He may even be bed-bound, and I don't know if he will be able to adjust well to this way of living. He is a very stubborn and hard-headed person. Yesterday he was extremely angry and quite abrupt with all of us. This is the Father I mostly remember and am used to. He was not a whole lot of fun to be with yesterday. I can't even imagine what he may be going through emotionally and physically.

I believe that he can use this anger and stubbornness to channel towards his possible rehabilitation. It is interesting to me that he may actually recover despite his own intentions.

My Mom is ambivalent regarding his new attitude and change in his health status. He was quite rude to her yesterday, but she is a very understanding and patient person. I continue to be available emotionally for my Dad and family. His condition is improved, but he continues to be gravely ill and his health status could change again at any time.

No comments: