Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Utter Resonsibility

I have come to understand that emotional wellness comes from accepting complete and utter responsibility for everything we say and do.
So many people have been led to believe that somehow they are responsible for another person. With the exception of one’s own children, I believe this is incorrect.
Do I believe that we have some ethical responsibilities to our fellow man? Yes, I do. We need to treat each other with fairness and kindness. We need to provide equal opportunities to others. We need to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves due to physical and emotional illness. However, are we responsible for doing for others when they can do for themselves? No. And, in fact taking care and doing things for others when they can do these things for themselves is a surefire recipe for creating dependency. Allow others to take care of themselves when they can, even when it is difficult for them to do so. To do otherwise is disrespectful to them as a fellow human being. It will eventually create a relationship of love-hate and resentment.

To accept complete and utter responsibility for our actions is enough. I am responsible for everything that I say and do, but never for your perception of what I do and for your perception of who I am. I cannot make you believe or feel anything. You are totally responsible for how you feel and perceive me. To believe otherwise is nonsense. The ability to accept our own mistakes and poor judgments is paramount to mental and emotional health.
Dr. Crewson Andrew Martin, PhD
Excerpt from "A Prescription For Contentment"
Available on Amazon.com

No comments: